Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Thoughts on distance education

I was always under the impression that blogs were a forum for informal discussions. I would like to use my blog to talk about the future of education and to gain some input from others. I do enjoy discussions where people share their opinions freely.

I had the opportunity to read previous blogs and I have some thoughts of my own to share. I read an earlier blog where one person questioned the acceptance of certification programs. I had some similar concerns myself. Prior to beginning this class I was enrolled in a doctoral program. However, my current situation forced me to make a decision. I work for a small school with a burgeoning distance education program that required me to gain a variety of skills quickly. Traditional Ph.D. programs were not structured in a way that would allow me to learn the necessary skills in a manner consistent in my needs. Upon additional research, I was able to locate programs like this one that would add to my skill set.I have been able to focus on specific skills that I need to improve our program.The upcoming modules in this course focus on very specific needs that I would not be able to get in a degree program. I must admit to having the same concerns regarding acceptance by others , and I think I made the correct decision given my current situation.

I don't get me wrong. I would still like to pursue a Ph.D.. However, it wouldn't be prudent for me to do so now. I would like your opinion regarding training and education for someone seeking to become the leader in the field of distance education. It is a Ph.D. or an Ed.D necessary? One reason I enjoy these type of courses is that I get to interact with other people in the field. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

No comments: